The homeowners were moving to Hawaii and
wanted to create a Pied a Terre in the lower level of their Bay Area
home, most of which was going to be rented out. The lower level
apartment was complete except for a kitchenette in which to prepare
meals while they were in town.
Homeowner Wish List
· All of the normal kitchen functions
were needed except for a stove; the owners opted for a convection
microwave oven and an electric stove top instead.
· The kitchenette needed to fit within the existing space without major
· The aesthetics of the kitchenette needed to merge seamlessly with the
· Plenty of storage capacity
· A lot of value on a very tight budget
· 12 weeks to complete the project
· The kitchenette was designed to fit
into the space that had housed their pool table.
· The existing built-in shelves were incorporated into the design.
· The use of under counter appliances helped create a compact but highly
· A multi-purpose island was added for food prep, storage and casual
· Stock cabinets and prefabricated counter tops helped meet both the
aesthetic and the budget requirements
· The design and execution is so seamless it looks as if the kitchen has
always been there.
· The project was completed before the homeowners left for Hawaii.