This historic 1898 house
was about to be torn down in order to make room for new road
construction when this owner decided to save the house by purchasing it
and relocating it approximately 1,000 feet from its existing location.
The program called for a complete renovation including a new kitchen,
new bathrooms and a new basement. The owner also wanted a screened porch
and a two-story front porch that would compliment the original design of
the house. The entire interior of the existing residence was stripped
and rebuilt using the old materials in creative ways. The old chimneys
were exposed in the attic and kitchen. These were incorporated as an
integral part of the new kitchen design. Brick was uncovered and left
exposed in the dining room and living room areas. During construction an
old pieced of rosin paper was discovered in the exterior wall with the
date of the original house and the date of renovation by the son of the
original owner. This piece of rosin paper is now framed and mounted on
the wall of the dining room.