Neil Kelly Design/Build Remodelers of
Associations: Professional Designation:
Neil Kelly Design/Build
804 North Alberta Street
Portland, Oregon 97217
National Award Residential Universal Design
The clients purchased
their 1980s era ranch style home with a view to the evolving health
needs of one of the partners. As it became apparent that the time
was approaching when the client would need the assistance of a
wheelchair for mobility, they decided to remodel the master bath
prioritizing accessibility, function, and aesthetics.
- Existing unused tub was removed.
- New zero threshold walk
- In shower with open shower enclosure was placed in former tub
- Two handheld shower heads: one placed at standing height, the
other at a seated height near the built-in 18”-high shower bench.
- Controls were located at the wall near the entry to the shower.
- A bench for seating while dressing was located outside the shower.
- Water closet was relocated to a private room. No door specified at
- 36”-wide pocket door was located at entry from master bedroom and
entry to master closet for ease of passage.
- A T-shaped turnaround space was designed to ADA standards.
- Vanity area: two 36x34x25.5” vanity areas open below for knee
clearance are interrupted by a tall linen closet.